Sunday, October 4, 2009

Saints and Sinners... great work by the Young Dubliners

Very impressed by this record our colleagues from LA put out this summer... Saints and Sinners by the Young Dubliners. Always a sucker for well played, well written Ceili-pop... this is state of the art, and as colorful as the slick CD cover featuring a shifty young boy with the brightest red hair you've ever seen.

There are a lot of influences on this that I hear... DMB, Duran Duran, ELO, Madness, Modern English to name a few. Add great Uillean pipes, whistle and fiddle and you have their sound.

Not one bad track on this. Some very catchy lyric writing here... Backseat Driver & Rosie are standout tracks for me. Love these lyrics from the chorus of Rosie...

Rosie, sweet rosie
money dont grow on trees
if I thought for just one second it did
i'd be down on my bended knee...

Oh can't you hear Larry Kirwan from Black 47 singing that...

Another standout for me is (Dont Think I'll) Love Anymore, a well done duet with Dead Rock West lead singer Cindy Wasserman. There were two additional tracks on the iTunes download version... and one called Unreel... a bonus live instrumental featuring nifty edgy guitar trad work.

But my favorite track is the last track entitled Chance... with a DMB/Stefan Lessard bass line bringing in a very hip dance tune that Afro-Celt fans will love. A great piece of studio production... love love love it...

Not sure there are too many better records put out in our scene this year... I am torn between Saints and Sinners and the sure to be classic Gutter Anthems from Enter The Haggis as my favorite Celtic rock release in 2009. I play them both constantly...

Anyway, I missed the Young Dubs recent NYC show... we had a studio session unfortunately that night. I will not let them get by us here again on the east coast without catching them live...

So in the meantime, pick it up, download it, order it... totally totally worth it.

Note: Been meaning to write this for a few months now, this record has been out since February, but better late than never...

2 comments:

Gene Callaghan said...

Thanks for the music Recommendations. Love the Young Dubliners CD - "In the End" is awesome. Maybe we could have a Celtic Cross recommendation list at the store.
Gene @ Irish eyes imports

Patrick D said...

definitely have my favorites... maybe we can do a top ten or something...

P