Monday, July 27, 2009

Totally Missed Rockaway

We played at a great place in Rockaway yesterday called The Bungalow Bar... on B92nd street on the bay side, literally in the shadow of the Crossbay Bridge. A great spot all you Brooklynites and Queensies should check out. They have the coolest outdoor deck overlooking the bay and great food...

It was also cool that Rockaway is the home town of Walter Ensor (our guitar player). We don't get down his neck of the woods often... so I am sure he enjoyed not having his typical 2 hour plus commute to our shows around the area. Plus, I think he knew everyone in the bar last night.

But personally, it felt so good to cross that bridge again and to drive through Rockaway... and play our new material for many folks who came out to see us. In spite of the T-storms... a great evening. We will look forward to getting back to the Bungalow Bar.

Rockaway will always be a familiar and fond place for me. It was my first beach! I have such vivid kid memories of the bridge traffic, looking for parking spots, and sitting on the hot vinyl seats of my parents car with no AC... couldn't wait to get on that boardwalk and see the ocean. Then there were many fishing adventures off the bridge. Think we even rented a boat once...

Even remember staying down there in those little bungalow shacks. My wife Kerry too... she recalls the light bulb fixtures hanging from the ceiling with a twine cord switch. I can close my eyes and remember those sunburned nights in a bed too small, prevented from sleeping by the sound of the surf and the lights and clamor from nearby Playland.

And then there was the Q53 bus... from 61st & Roosevelt in Woodside directly to B116st in Rockaway. On hot summer days, that bus was teaming with kids looking for fun, sun, loud boombox music, and showing off for members of the opposite sex...

Under the boardwalk
down by the sea
On a blanket with my baby
That's where I'll be...

or so we all hoped.

And then the Irish Circle... one of those party spots where I am sure I have played 100+ gigs over the years. Loved that place. Had the pleasure of having Micky Carton up to sing on many occasions... he'd kill me with his one-liners off the mike. Anyway, the place looks better than ever on that corner of B101st.

The Irish Festival every July was one of the best around... John Vesey actually wore a kilt there once during a Celtic Cross performance. I played there with Pat Roper, Celtic Flavor with Dennis Gallery, Tippling Way and of course Celtic Cross.

I am sure I could come up with more, but would love to hear your own Rockaway Irish stories... so please comment below.

No comments: